08 Jan Easy and Cheesy Grits
Easy and Cheesy Grits
A southern favorite that's waistline-friendly and enjoyed without any guilt. Enjoy this low-fat cheese and turkey sausage recipe mixed with original grits. Only 200 calories, which means it could be a snack when eaten alone.
Servings: 2 people
- 2 cups water
- ½ cup quick-cooking grits
- 2 oz uncooked bulk turkey sausage, cooked & drained
- 1 tbsp sliced green onion
- 2 tsp finely chopped, seeded fresh jalapeno pepper
- 1 dash black pepper
- 2 tbsp shredded low-fat cheddar cheese
- In a medium saucepan bring water to boiling. Slowly add grits, stirring constantly. Return to boil; reduce heat. Cook and stir for 5-7 min. or until the water is absorbed and the mixture is thickened.
- Stir in the cooked turkey sausage, green onion, jalapeno pepper, and black pepper. Spoon into serving dishes. Sprinkle each serving with cheese.
APPROXIMATE NUTRITIONAL ANALYSIS PER SERVING: 200 calories, 11.5 grams of protein, 29.6 grams of carbohydrates, 4 grams of fat, 2.3 grams of fiber, 289 mg of sodium