04 Mar Thanksgiving-Style Turkey
It's been estimated that 60% of all unwanted weight is gained between Thanksgiving and New Year's Day. Well, this may be true for those who are simply eating in excess and without conscious thought. Our Thanksgiving Turkey Recipe offers you a delicious protein that is only 40 calories per ounce. For nearly 10 years we have shared this recipe and every time we get emails how it was the talk of the meal. Enjoy!
- 1 medium-sized turkey thawed for 1-2 days in refrigerator
- 12 cloves garlic (blend, puree)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil or grape seed oil
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp sage
- 1 tsp thyme
- Non-Stick Cooking Spray
- 1 Reynolds oven bag, turkey size
- 3 tbsp whole-wheat flour
- Take the turkey out of the plastic bag and rinse well. Remove the bag containing all the turkey parts from inside the turkey. Cut off any visible fat, especially around the tail. Using a knife, poke holes randomly in the turkey. Spread the garlic over the turkey, especially in the holes you've poked. Turn the turkey over, bring up the wings, and place some garlic inside the wings.
- Flip the bird back over - breast side up and brush turkey with olive oil mixed with salt, pepper, sage, and thyme. Spray Pam inside the Reynolds bag and toss three tbsp. of flour in the bag.
- Close the bag and shake until the flour is evenly spread inside the bag. Finally, insert the turkey into the bag, place it in a large cooking pan and put in the pre-heated oven.
- Roast the turkey at 325 degrees, allowing approximately 20 minutes per pound for un-stuffed birds and 25 minutes per pound for a stuffed bird.
- Testing for doneness: About 20 minutes before roasting time is completed, test bird. Flesh on thickest part of drumstick should feel soft when squeezed between fingers, drumstick should move up and down easily, and meat thermometer inserted into thickest part of leg
should read 185 degrees F.
Approximate nutritional analysis per serving: 160 calories (21 grams of protein, 4 grams of carbohydrates and 7 grams of fat)